MIM Group working at all-Spanish team with Wehrlein and Palou set to drive in 2021.
Monaco, October 3, 2019 – From the first meeting with Chase Carey at the Spanish F1 Grand Prix in Barcelona on May 11th, and through the following meetings at F1 Group Headquarters in London with Ross Brawn on May 15th, and July 31st, it was clear that a Spanish team would fill a void left by the retirement of Fernando Alonso, and increase the interest of the Spanish fans and the TV and Media audience. Further, the support of the Spanish Federation, the availability of the Campos Racing Facility, as well as the know-how of the Campos Racing Team, already competing and winning in Formula 2 and Formula 3, make Spain the perfect home for a new Formula 1 Team.
It all began with Salvatore Gandolfo and Adrian Campos. The initiators, who can count on the financial support of a group around the Monaco Increase Management SARL (MIM) company, started the new F1 Project by hiring Peter McCool (with his Company “Shape” www.shape-group-com) as Technical Director and Ben Wood (with his company “Dynamique” www.aero-dynamique.com) as Chief Aerodynamicist. Both McCool and Wood, were previous members of Formula 1 World Champion Teams and have extensive experience in their respective fields.
At the end of July, 2019, a team of professional engineers with F1 backgrounds started to
work on a preliminary study for the new F1 entry project, which will be completed as soon as
the new regulations are published at the end of October. The team is now at an advanced
stage of negotiations with current Formula 1 Teams and engine manufacturers to ensure the
best possible partnership for a competitive Spanish Formula 1 Team from 2021 and
Furthermore, there are two potential drivers for the 2021 season, Pascal Wehrlein and Alex Palou, who are currently under contract with MIM. Wehrlein, the youngest winner of the prestigious DTM Championship, is currently competing in the Formula E World Championship with Mahindra and has a role as Development Driver for Scuderia Ferrari. In addition, he already has gained experience by competing in two Formula One seasons. Young Spanish talent Palou is currently ranking third in the SuperFormula Series in Japan and just four points behind the series leader, with one race win in Fuji and two pole positions to his credit. Another long-term candidate with MIM is young Spanish karting superstar David Vidales, who has finished in the top 3 in the World Championship events in 2016, 2017 and 2018, and as runner-up in 2019.
“Joining the Formula 1 World Championship in 2021 shall be a long-term project. We are
aware of the big challenges ahead of us, but we have a team of experts working day and
night and the financial solidity required by the FIA to make this project a success”, says
He then added: “With the new budget cap, the new distribution of incomes and the new technical and sporting regulations, there is a great opportunity for smaller teams to compete and ultimately to make the FIA Formula 1 World Championship more interesting and balanced again”.
Gandolfo also confirmed Campos F2 and F3 will continue to operate as the Junior Team to bring talented drivers into F1.
For further information contact Alberto Antonini at +39-344-0556635 / email@example.com.
- Pascal Wehrlein: F1-Comeback 2021 mit neuem Team? https://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/149926/Pascal-Wehrlein-F1-Comeback-2021-mit-neuem-Team.html
- Formel-1-Live-Ticker: Neues Team kündigt sich an! https://www.formel1.de/news/news/2019-10-03/formel-1-live-ticker-neues-team-kuendigt-sich-an
- Motor racing-New Spanish-based team hoping to enter F1 under 2021 rules https://www.reuters.com/article/motor-f1-team/motor-racing-new-spanish-based-team-hoping-to-enter-f1-under-2021-rules-idUSL3N26O2CG
- Spanish team targets 2021 Formula 1 entry https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/spanish-team-campos-wehrlein-2021/4552024/
- Spanish-based F1 team for 2021 in the works? https://www.planetf1.com/news/spanish-based-f1-team-for-2021-in-the-works/
- Neues spanisches Team plant 2021 Einstieg in die Formel 1 https://www.tt.com/sport/sportreport/16123301/neues-spanisches-team-plant-2021-einstieg-in-die-formel-1
- New Campos-linked Spanish F1 team in the works https://f1i.com/news/356997-new-campos-linked-spanish-f1-team-in-the-works.html
- Campos Racing-linked team eyes new Formula 1 entry in 2021 https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/146364/camposlinked-team-eyes-new-formula-1-entry
- New Spanish F1 team set to join the grid in 2021 https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/news/f1/new-spanish-f1-team-set-join-grid-2021
- Spanish team targets 2021 Formula 1 entry https://sports.yahoo.com/spanish-team-targets-2021-formula-120418058.html
- Plans for a new Spanish F1 team in 2021 have been announced. MIM Group hopes to run with Pascal Wehrlein and Alex Palou. Ben Wood (ex-Honda & Super Aguri aerodynamicist) involved https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/dcp5ql/plans_for_a_new_spanish_f1_team_in_2021_have_been/
- MIM Group working at all-Spanish team set to drive in 2021 https://www.formulapassion.it/fp-english/mim-group-working-at-all-spanish-team-set-to-drive-in-2021-459351.html
- Wehrlein i Palou w F1 w 2021 roku z nowym zespołem? https://powrotroberta.pl/2019/10/wehrlein-i-palou-w-f1-w-2021-roku-z-nowym-zespolem.html
- Spanish team aims to replace Alonso by making F1 step-up https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/45798/spanish-team-aims-to-replace-alonso-by-making-f1-step-up/
- Új spanyol csapat mutatkozna be az F1-ben 2021-ben! https://m4sport.hu/forma-1/cikk/2019/10/03/uj-spanyol-csapat-mutatkozna-be-az-f1-ben-2021-ben
- Le projet ’Campos’, une nouvelle équipe avec Wehrlein titulaire en 2021? https://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/fr/formule-1/le-projet-campos-une-nouvelle-equipe-avec-wehrlein-titulaire-en-2021,142492.html
- El equipo español Campos Racing aspira a la F1 en 2021 https://es.motorsport.com/f1/news/campos-racing-opcion-formula1-2021-palou/4551990/
- Spagna: la Campos debutterà in F1 nel 2021 con Wehrlein e Palou https://www.corriere.it/sport/formula-1/notizie/spagna-campos-debuttera-f1-2021-wehrlein-palou-2a188cac-e5c7-11e9-b5eb-dc1ff9a38071.shtml
- Adrián Campos prepara un nuevo equipo español de F1 para 2021 https://soymotor.com/noticias/adrian-campos-equipo-formula-1-2021-969680
- Com Wehrlein, Campos anuncia plano de ter equipe na Fórmula 1 a partir de 2021 https://www.grandepremio.com.br/f1/noticias/com-wehrlein-campos-anuncia-plano-de-ter-equipe-na-formula-1-a-partir-de-2021
- Team spagnolo pronto per il 2021 https://www.formulapassion.it/motorsport/formula-1/team-spagnolo-pronto-per-il-2021-f1-wehrlein-campos-palou-vidales-459350.html
- ¿Un nuevo equipo español en F1 para 2021? https://www.caranddriver.com/es/formula-1/a29349015/nuevo-equipo-espanol-f1-2021/
- New Campos-linked Formula 1 project eyeing 2021 entry https://www.crash.net/f1/news/930565/1/new-camposlinked-f1-project-eyeing-2021-entry
- ¿Nuevo equipo español de F1? Así lo quiere Adrián Campos en 2021 https://www.motor.es/formula-1/nuevo-equipo-espanol-f1-adrian-campos-asi-quiere-2021-201961325.html
- 2021-től egy spanyol csapat szállna be az F1-be: Wehrlein az egyik versenyző https://propeller.hu/sport/3462502-2021-tol-egy-spanyol-csapat-szallna-be-f1